I’ve already written two posts with the same title already…that’s just how much of a year 2016 really was.
I’ve already talked about how I’ve declared 2017 to be a year of rebirth for myself, a year where I make sure everything which didn’t work about 2016 doesn’t happen again.
But to be completely honest, I feel a little bad about bashing on 2016 so much. Sure, it started out by snatching a job out of my hands, forcing a mad scramble to find new employment which led to nearly a year of feeling out of place until I found something new. Yeah, we got a new President who seems to be the key in splitting this country further and further apart. Yes, we lost such amazing cultural icons as David Bowie, Prince, and Carrie Fisher. We also lost two of our beloved family pets. And yes, I may have suffered from one of my greatest bouts of depression in remembered history…but there was so much good stuff that happened too.
And so…I aim to take a moment to focus on some of the good that happened to me and my family during the course of 2016. Just to show how much better I expect 2017 to be.
- My wife and I took a trip sans-kids to Ireland and the U.K. (and I really want to go back…)
- My wife, kids, and I took a trip to L.A. and learned that although the smog is real, so is the Wizarding World.
- We added two new family pets to our family, Flash and Iris, the two craziest cats in town.
- My daughter performed in her first musical, The Wizard of Oz.
- Went Christmas caroling for the first time in 20 years.
- Sent out an early beta edition of my children’s book to kids across the country and got overwhelmingly positive response (including a bunch of the most adorable letters from a classroom who read the book…who I then had a fantastic Q&A session with).
- “Ran” my first 5K.
- Tried haggis and am absolutely in love.
- Watched some great friends get married.
- Became an uncle yet again.
- We finally got a dishwasher.
- Batman v Superman was awesome, don’t let anyone tell you differently.
- Started a blog with my kids (which fell by the wayside due to the busy nature of 2016, but is on the schedule to come back very very soon).
Look, the list could actually go on for quite some time. I only made it back to June in my Facebook review of the year, meaning there’s still a half of a year (outside of the items I remembered off the top of my head) to look through for reminders.
But 2017 is going to be far superior.
That’s a promise to you, but mostly to me.
Have fun out there!