I’ve long been considered something of a techie-type person. In the past I’ve held positions where my main job was to troubleshoot technical issues with computers and whatnot.
I have something to admit. Something that many “techie-type” people have admitted over the years, but for some reason has never really caught on.
I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing. Sure, I have a basic grasp of techie language, so when a button is labeled WPS, I kinda understand what that button might be for. However, I’m still just randomly pressing that button to see what it will do.
Last night, while setting up for a long night of working overtime, I lost my internet connection. This wasn’t too crazy, as it’s been acting up for a little while now.
I went through my normal process, trying to press the right buttons in the right order so that I would get my expected result.
The three hours I had intended on spending logged into work was spent troubleshooting an issue that I already had the answer to. I needed to replace my router. It was a cheap, used, router when I got it, it wasn’t too crazy to believe that it would need to be replaced. Hell, I’ve known I needed to replace it since pretty soon after I got it, but I didn’t want to admit that it was crap.
So, yeah, by around 9 o’clock last night, the time in which I was really hoping to settle down and perhaps actually get to bed early, I was heading out into the world to Wal-Mart. . . ugh. I hate Wal-Mart almost as much as I hate working overtime.
Anyways, that trip was pretty uneventful, I got home, plugged everything in and my work computer immediately got connected and voila, I was able to work.
Then my wife told me her computer wasn’t connecting. . .
I didn’t spend too much time on that last night, because it was already 10 by the time I got logged on, and I really needed to work, but I finally got that fixed this morning. However, once that was completed, I finally got down to my personal computer. . . also not happy with the new router.
Finally, after hours of work, everything is connected and working. The only issue is, I really have no clue why they didn’t just work right off the bat. I just pushed buttons and rebooted until things happened. Now I just have to hope everything holds together for the foreseeable future.
Unfortunately, this would appear to be very similar to the method in which I write. Push buttons, see what works. 😦
Have a good one.